Begin Main Content Area

Voting by Alternative Ballot

If your polling place is not accessible, you may be able to vote with an alternative ballot by mail. Find out if you can vote an alternative ballot instead of voting in-person at a polling place.

An alternative ballot is a paper ballot that you get in the mail and return to the County Board of Elections. 

The federal Voting Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act of 1984 requires the state of Pennsylvania to offer alternative ballots. 

There are 3 options to return the ballot:

  • In Person 
  • By an Authorized Representative
  • Through the U.S. Mail

Can I vote by alternative ballot?

If you meet the qualifications to vote by alternative ballot, you have the right to do so even if you are able to appear to vote at the polling place. You have the right to vote with an alternative ballot if you are:

  • A registered voter, and
  • Were assigned to a polling place that the County Board of Elections says is not accessible


  • Have a disability, or 
  • Are 65 years of age or older, whether you have a disability or not.

How do I apply for an alternative ballot?

  1. Fill in the paper alternative ballot application. 
  2. Send your alternative ballot application to the County Election Office.
  3. If accepted, you will get an alternative ballot with instructions from the County Election Office.

You must submit your Alternative Ballot Application to your County Election Office no later than 5 pm on the Tuesday before Election Day. 

How and when to Apply for an Emergency Alternative Ballot?

In case of an emergency, you can submit an Emergency Application for Alternative Ballot. You must submit this completed application to the County Election Office no later than 8 pm on Election Day.