Begin Main Content Area

Annual Mail Ballot List

Many voters have questions about annual mail voting. Here’s what you need to know:

​What is annual mail voting?

As an annual mail voter, you must submit a request to vote by mail ballot every year and then two things will happen:

  • You will automatically receive a mail ballot for every election until the 3rd Monday in February of the following year.
  • In early February, you will automatically receive another paper request form for mail ballots for the following year. Or you can submit a request online.

Annual Mail-in voter request from February to February of next year.

How do I know if I'm already an annual mail voter?

Contact your county board of elections. They can tell you if you will receive mail ballots for the year or if you need to submit a request. Remember, even if you received mail ballots last year, you must submit a request every year.

How do I become an annual mail voter?

Step 1: Submit a request to receive ballots for the year

Step 2: Check the box:

screenshot of online form highlighting annual ballot section

Paper form:
screenshot of paper form highlighting annual ballot section

Step 3: Submit A Mail Ballot Request Every Year

If you are unsure about whether you are an annual mail voter, contact your county board of elections.

If you're unable to submit an application online or don't have a printer to download an application form, you may submit an online request to have a form mailed to you.  You can also request to have a form mailed to you by calling the Department of State at: 1-877-VOTES-PA (1-877-868-3772).

What's the difference between a mail-in and absentee ballot?

There are two types of mail ballots.

Mail-in ballots are for any qualified voter. You don't need a reason to request a mail-in ballot.

Absentee ballots are for:

  • Voters who plan to be out of their municipality on Election Day
  • Voters who have a disability or illness that prevents them from going to a polling place on Election Day.

Click here to learn more about mail voting.

How do I cancel my mail ballot request?

If you want to cancel your annual mail ballot request, fill out the Request to Cancel my Ballot Form (en español) and two things will happen:

  • You will no longer receive mail ballots for upcoming elections.
  • You will no longer receive a paper request form in February for mail ballots for the following year.

If you change your mind and want to vote by mail ballot in the future, you will need to submit a new request.

What if...

...I signed up for annual mail ballots last year, will I receive mail ballots this year?

No. You must submit a request for annual mail ballot EVERY YEAR starting in February. 

...I requested annual mail ballots for this year BUT I changed my mind and I want to vote at my polling place for the next election?

  • If you have not received your mail ballot, you can submit a request to cancel your ballot and then vote in person as usual.
  • If you received your mail ballot but didn't return it and you want to vote in person, you have two options:
    • Bring your ballot and the pre-addressed outer return envelope to your polling place. After you surrender your ballot and envelope and sign a declaration, you can then vote a regular ballot.
    • If you don't surrender your ballot and return envelope, you can only vote by provisional ballot at your polling place. Your county election board will then verify that you did not vote by mail before counting your provisional ballot.

...I voted by mail ballot last year, but I want to vote at my polling place this year?

If you don't want to receive mail ballots for a specific year, don't return the request form you receive from your county. You'll be able to vote in-person, on Election Day, using a regular ballot.

...I didn’t return the annual request form, will I receive a form next year?

Yes. You will receive a request form every year until you cancel your annual mail-in or absentee status or move to another county and do not request to transfer your status to the new county.

...I move?

If you move, contact your county election office to ensure your mail-in or absentee ballot will be sent to your new address. If you move to a different county in Pennsylvania, you will need to update your voter registration and request to maintain your annual mail-in or absentee ballot status or have your existing request transferred, by: